There are many different types of salt available, each with its own unique characteristics and uses. Some of the most common types of salt include:
- Table salt: This is the most common type of salt and is typically refined and heavily processed. It is fine-grained and has a strong, salty taste.
- Sea salt: Sea salt is made by evaporating seawater and is often considered to be more natural and flavorful than table salt. It comes in a variety of grain sizes, from fine to coarse.
- Kosher salt: Kosher salt gets its name because it is used in the process of koshering meat, as it helps to draw out blood and impurities. It is coarser and has a more delicate flavor than table salt.
- Himalayan pink salt: This type of salt is mined from the Himalayan Mountains and is known for its distinctive pink color. It is often considered to be a high-quality, gourmet salt.
- Black salt: Black salt, also known as kala namak, is a type of Indian volcanic rock salt that has a strong, sulfuric flavor. It is often used in Indian cuisine and is known for its ability to add a savory, egg-like flavor to dishes. This should not be confused with Black Lava salt which infused natural salt with activated charcoal for a range of detox benefits.
- Fleur de sel / Flake Salt / Flor de Sol - Fleur de sel, which translates to "flower of salt," is a type of salt that is common in France. It is hand-harvested from the surface of salt pans. It is considered to be a high-quality, gourmet salt and is often used as a finishing salt.
- Red salt: Red salt, also known as hawaii salt or alaea salt, is made from sea salt mixed with red clay, which gives it its distinctive color. It is often used in Hawaiian cuisine and has a slightly sweet, earthy flavor.
- Smoked salt: Smoked salt is made by smoking sea salt over wood chips, which gives it a distinctive smoky flavor. It is often used as a finishing salt to add depth of flavor to dishes.
- Low sodium / Potassium salt: Potassium salt, also known as potassium chloride, is a type of salt that is low in sodium and high in potassium. It is often used as a salt substitute for those who need to limit their sodium intake.